Saturday, May 06, 2006

Asian-Australian

Although I am resistant to the pan-Asian tag,* I have finally found some Asian Australian blogs that are worth reading. Yay! Of course, they are in Melbourne - wouldn't you know it? - but that's alright.

Now I no longer have to feel like such a fraud lurking around all the wonderful Asian American sites I had been reading. Especially with May being Asian Pacific Heritage Month in America - the whole thing has been making me want to bawl that nothing like that is happening here. Don't get me wrong - I most certainly will not stop reading the excellent Asian American bloggers I've found. But I'd been wondering whether we Australians were just really slow on the up-take or not introspective enough or ... something. So it's good to see that it's happening here too.

I know, I know - it's been out there all along and I wasn't looking hard enough ...

Anyway, I'm writing this ludicrously quickly (for my slow, proof-reader tastes). It's very late at night (for me); I've got a new resolution to blog only on weekends (although I'm still reading during the week); I don't particularly like this diarising / stream of consciousness posting (who's really interested anyway) but I don't want to forget these links:-

http://tseenster.blogspot.com/
http://hoapham.blogspot.com/
http://bananaasian.blogspot.com/
http://www.asianaustralian.org/

I'll pretty it up later, promise.

* I prefer Viet-Australian, if you're curious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel weird about calling it exclusively "Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month," so I keep referring to it as "Asian-Pacific Heritage Month." In fact, I've been leaving "American" off lots of labels lately, just to be cheeky. I've always found it strange that the United States somehow got the monopoly on the word "American."

Anyway, great new blog links to check out. And I like your shorthand "Viet-Australian." I wish "Korean" had an equally nice-sounding shortened version that I could tag onto my nationality. "Kor-American" just doesn't have the same ring to it!
:-P

Hoa said...

Hello OTT
Thanks for visiting my blog and it's great to see yours too! Yes there is no point to light fluffy auto/biographies- I loved reading your posts warts and all...

Cheers Hoa

Oanh said...

Ji-in - ah yes "American": it's difficult to keep policing one's language. My niece often corrects me when I say American instead of United State of America (if that's what I mean).

I like Kor-American - it's very cheeky!

Hoa - hope to "see" you more often!

tammiit said...

Hi, I've just come across your blog through Ji-in. It's great to finally find another Australian based blog. Come visit me in tropical Cairns.

Eurasian Sensation said...

While on the subject of Asian-Australian blogs, here's my shameless plug: www.eurasian-sensation.blogspot.com.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.